Residents of Goodworth Clatford automatically become associate members of the Village Club. There are no fees but villagers are encouraged to join the Village Club 100 Club and/or make an annual donation towards the upkeep of the Club.
The Club is used by many organisations and contact details can be found below.
The Entertainments Committee organise events such as quizzes, theatre productions, lectures, concerts etc and tickets can be obtained from the Village Store.
There is a Snooker Table in the Club, two superb tennis courts, two 6m x 3m Gazebo's - all of which can be hired. The Club with hall, stage and recently refurbished kitchen can also be hired for private functions. Details of hiring charges etc. can be seen below.
VILLAGE CLUB CHAIR & TRUSTEES
Chair of the Trustees ... Mr D Grey JP
Mrs S Cartwright
Mr M Goddard
Mrs J Gorski (Treasurer)
Mrs D Heal
Mr J Milne CB
Mr D Sharp AFC
Mrs C Milne OBE
village CLUB history
THE HISTORY OF THE VILLAGE CLUB
In April 1922 Sir Alfred Yarrow and Eleanor Barnes invited the villagers to a meeting in the school room to explain their offer to build a Club for the village. The premises were to include a spacious hall, games room, bathroom and Caretakers rooms; there would also be a Library. Miss Barnes also promised to present two hard tennis courts. This offer was received enthusiastically.
The land was purchased in the name of Eleanor Barnes in June 1922 before she married Sir Alfred in December. A London firm of architects was used, and C Grace and Sons, the village based builders, carried out the construction.
The opening event on 6th March 1923 was a lecture entitled 'Shackleton's Life Story' given by Commander Worsley, the Captain of his ship on the Antarctic Expeditions. Sir Alfred, commented that, just as his ships had trials, the Club would need a settling in period of a month before a formal opening in April.
The Club was opened by the Duchess of Hamilton at 4 pm on Saturday 7th April 1923. Mrs Lawrence proposed a vote of thanks, saying what a difference the Club would make to the lives of all in the village. The Vicar, The Reverend Edmund Iremonger, Chairman of the Parish Council, thanked the 'generous donors of a splendid building with its grand appointments'. The building was full to overflowing and all the villagers over 10 years old were invited! After photographs in the front of the Club, refreshments were served.
Sir Alfred established the Club objectives as 'To provide a centre of social, physical, and mental activity and recreation, and to promote good fellowship among the inhabitants of the district.' The first committee was made up of Sir Alfred as President and 11 members; 5 of whom he nominated, including Lady Yarrow. His aim was to hand over control by degrees. The first Secretary/Treasurer was Major Kemble. The initial funds of one hundred pounds were given by the President.
The annual membership fees were five shillings for men and three shillings for women. In the first year there were 229 members. The subscription gave access to the hall and use of the Library and reading room, which was curtained off at the front end of the main hall. The Library had 700 books in the first year and continued until the HCC Travelling Library started in the 1940's. Other activities had additional charges eg. Baths, (3d), billiards, tennis, dances, whist drives, concerts and 'socials'.
When Sir Alfred died in 1932, he left the Club to be held in trust for the village. He also left two endowments; £ 1,200 for general maintenance and £1,000 for lectures. These were invested in undated Government stock under Charity Commission guidance. The Trust for the Club was established on the 1st March 1933 and the Club was registered as a Charity. The first Trustees were Major Henry Kemble, Herbert May and Ernest Lock. In December 1932 Lady Yarrow sold 'Greenmeadows' and moved to Chute. Subsequently she moved to Ireland, and died in Dublin in 1953.
The only significant change to the structure of the building has been the addition of the room which subsequently became the kitchen. The original tennis courts were next to the terrace. The new courts are partly astride the old railway line. The Club's objectives remain unchanged. To conform with Charity Law, membership charges are no longer made. One change that was made, after approval from the Charity Commissioners, was to allow alcohol on the premises - but not until 1968!
SIR ALFRED FERNANDEZ YARROW
Alfred was born on the 13th January 1842 in London. His mother, Esther Lindo, was from a Jewish family that traded with the West Indies; His father Edgar worked as a clerk in the business.
He was educated at University College School. He left in 1857 to take up an apprenticeship with Ravenhills, who produced engines for naval vessels in London. During his apprenticeship he attended lectures at the Royal Institution and became an admirer of Faraday. He developed a talent for invention, and in 1859 was a founder member of The Society that became The Institution of Civil Engineers. Alfred completed his apprenticeship in 1863, aged 21, and started work on new innovations with financial help from a maiden aunt and a friend of his father.
The most successful project was an agricultural steam plough and with the royalties from this and other contract work he saved a thousand pounds. This enabled him to establish his own small marine engineering works on the Isle of Dogs in 1866, when he was 24. By 1869 the business had started to build steam launches for river work, and through to 1875 produced a great number, including prefabricated paddle boats for use on Lake Nyasa at the request of Dr. Livingstone. In 1875 Alfred married his first wife Minnie Franklin. They were to have five children, the eldest of whom Harold Edgar, was born in 1884. In the same year he restructured the firm, and took a new direction in developing the Naval business in which he was to earn his reputation.
Yarrow & Co. worked primarily on developing torpedo boats, then a new class of vessel, for Navies around the world. In the 1890's work for the British Government resulted in the development of the destroyer, a larger and faster ship, to counter the threat from torpedo boats. The evolution of these two types of vessel, with their ever increasing speed, was due to many technical developments. Yarrows excelled in the innovative use of new materials, and in boiler and engine design. While the company's fame was based on its naval vessels, it continued to develop river boats for use all over the world, including the Nile. The increase in demand for naval ships meant that the yard in London was outgrown and in 1907 the firm relocated to Scotstoun on the Clyde. Alfred retired as Managing Director in 1913 at the age of 71, but continued as Chairman until 1922.
The family moved to Hindhead in Surrey, and on the outbreak of war in 1914 Alfred came out of retirement at the request of the First Sea Lord. He worked in the Admiralty developing and building more destroyers, and also gun boats for use in Mesopotamia. As a result of the success of this work he was created a Baronet in 1916. After the war he retired for a second time.
Sir Alfred's wife died early in 1922. In December he married Eleanor Cecilia Barnes. She was the grand-daughter of a friend of his mother, and had lived with the family for some years. Greenmeadows Estate in Goodworth Clatford had been purchased in 1921. Sir Alfred and the new Lady Yarrow had the corn mill converted into a residence. They lived there until his death ten years later in January 1932 aged ninety.
Throughout his life Sir Alfred took a keen interest in supporting enterprise through the donation of funds and made many endowments for scientific research. He also encouraged women's education, and was a supporter of Girton College, Cambridge, where the original photograph of Sir Alfred hangs. A copy of this photograph is in the Village Club. Goodworth Clatford was the third Village Club which he endowed, the other two being Blanefield in Scotland, and Hindhead in Surrey.
village CLUB hire
VILLAGE CLUB HIRE
Goodworth Clatford Village Club CIO
For information about booking/hiring the Village Club please call the Steward, Kate Savage on 0776 99 11 305 (also contactable by email on email@example.com). Bookings will be confirmed upon receipt of a completed booking form and deposit (if appropriate). All booking are subject to the Terms and Conditions available by clicking on the button below. To see a photo of the Club Gazebos please see below image.
Give a hard copy of the completed form to the Club Steward at The Goodworth Clatford Village Club.
Art Group (Wednesday)
Art Group (Friday)
Ballroom, Latin and Dance fusion
The new 100 Club year will begin in June 2023. An application form will be delivered to your home by the end of April so watch out for it, fill it in and return to the Clatfords' Store or to the address on the form. If you are a lucky winner, your prize monty will be delivered to you and you can check all the winners in the Clatfords' Magazine.